Wednesday, September 17, 2008

From Shaw's Garden? Yes indeed!

So... I drive past Shaw's Garden everyday after I drop off Yusuf at school. Last Wednesday, I decided to take the three little ones (Omar, Hafsa, and Imani) because it was free and I thought we could all use a little fresh air. As we are walking through the parking lot, Omar, my little fireball takes off running. (Ignoring the rule about holding my hand or the stroller!) A car parked in the first spot backs up (fast) and only my crazy, amazon-like motherly cry prevents him from being run over. I mention this because not only does it set the mood for the day, it also cements in my mind where I parked the car!
You see, when we came out we were dumbfounded to find that my car had been stolen. Dumbfounded in the way you can only be when you are accompanied by a rowdy three year old, an exhausted two year old, and an infant on the verge of a nursing strike that is very hungry yet refusing to eat while you are relaxed in the gazebo of the children's garden. You know, things were quite hectic. Did I mention that this is Ramadan, and I am fasting. So, yes, I'm hungry. But, also prevented from screaming obscene things or getting angry. (Fasting isn't just about not eating or drinking!)
So, they found it the next day. Crashed into a tree down a hill as the officer puts it. Totaled. I can tell from the obscenities written on my steering wheel that the hoodlums that did this were not fasting. But what bothers me the most is that they stole my car seats. They stole my kids toys. They threw away my appointment cards I had nestled in the visor that served as my calendar of doctor appointments. They stole my awesome Pixar Cars window sun screen that made my minivan look like a "cars car"! ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
So, one week out and I'm still pretty sad about the whole thing.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Oh my gosh, that's awful!! I've had stuff stolen before and felt so violated afterwards. I'm also not too careful about locking my car doors. Perhaps I should be. I always think that I don't have anything of value inside, but if someone got away with 3 car seats and my stroller I would be seriously ticked off.
Does insurance even cover that kind of thing?

Emily said...

Heather, I need your email address to add you to my blog. You can get my email or phone from Holly or find me on facebook.

Emily said...

Wowzers! I am going to have some really unkind thoughts in my head for the dufuses that stole your stuff and wrecked your car. I am thinking of anvils dropping from the sky right now!